What are the related documents?
Within any Template, there is a section within the Form Settings Tab that allows User to configure Related Documents. Related documents allow the user to create multiple records without having to ever click out of the record they are currently in.
The related records structure follows a “parent/child” type structure. The template you are configuring the related documents to is known as the parent. All the related documents are known as the “child” records. Whilst a Template may be a child of a Parent that Child can also be configured so it too is a Parent Record with it’s own Child Related Records.
If you complete a Parent Record you then have the option to create or add an existing Record as a related Child record. These related records then show via the User Profile and within the Parent Record making it easier for users to keep all documents in one place.
How to create a related record?
- Create templates you wish to be related to your parent template. Apply the same "subject user" element type to all child templates, to ensure the subject user populates
- Create and save your parent template
- Click on Form Settings
- Click on Relateable Documents
- A list of all Templates the User has access to will be present in a box2box format. Users need simply move Templates from the Left to Right Hand side to add these as related documents.
- Once configured, a check box will automatically display, asking the user if they want to auto-populate the subject user. This means if they view a record for ‘Jack Wilson' once they click the link to a child record, 'Jack Wilson’ will automatically populate in the Subject User field for that new Record.
- Save the Template
Where will related records sit?
Once the parent template has been saved and the child records have been added, the user can now view the related records within the parent record.
- Click “Create a Record” on the parent record
- Fill out the “player name” element. This ensures all related records created off this parent record will auto-populate with this player’s name
- Click “Save as draft” or “Save as final”
- Once the record has been saved, simply click through to any of the related record sitting in the right-hand section of the record
- Continue filling out the child record as normal
Viewing a related record
A related record will be saved and stored the same way a standard record is saved. Users with the correct permissions will be able to view the records within the records list, the player profile and within a collections list.
Key things to note:
- A Child Record can only have ONE Parent
- Templates can be the children of MULTIPLE different Parent Templates
- It is best practice to have the exact SAME subject user element is related templates
- Related Records do not need to all be for the one Subject User
Please sign in to leave a comment.